Chunky Clam Chowder
- 1+ cups chopped Geomar clams
- 1 cup clam juice from Geomar Clams
- 1 lb Oyster Bay Brown Clams
- 3 cups chicken broth or stock
- 4 cups half and half
- 2/3 cup PLUS 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour (divided)
- 3 cups red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, diced
- 1 cup onions, finely diced
- 1 cup celery, finely diced
- 1 ½ Tbsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ Tbsp dried Thyme
- 4 Bay leaves
- 1 ½ tsp Tabasco sauce
Over MED-LOW heat, add bacon pieces and cook until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate, reserving drippings in pot.
Increase heat to MED and add onion and celery and sauté about 3-4 minutes, until soft. Add 2 Tbsp. flour and stir to coat vegetables. Cook 1 minute.
Add potatoes, chicken broth, clam juice, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaves, and tabasco sauce. Stir well, then bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover, simmering about 15 minutes or so until potatoes are fork tender.
In a mixing bowl, combine 2/3 cup flour with half and half, whisking well to remove lumps. Add to chowder, along with the chopped clams, and stir well to combine.
Increase heat to MED and cook, stirring often, about 3-5 minutes or until heated through and thickened to desired consistency. Add cooked bacon back into soup and stir.
Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Serve and enjoy!